Quite often, when a household has a motorcycle or two, they often ride them to their new home rather than put them in as part of the general household removal.
However, sometimes that is just not possible for a variety of reasons So, there may be a need for help from the provider of the vehicle for furniture removals. Removals businesses can usually accommodate such requirements.
Here are a few things to keep in mind though if you find yourself in a similar position:
- before we can accept your motorcycle onto one of our vehicles, it must be fully drained of fuel and any other combustible liquids. We must reserve the right to refuse to carry a motorcycle unless this condition has been met;
- we would also strongly advise that, where possible, things such as oil and hydraulic fluids are similarly drained down – assuming your owner’s manual confirms that is possible without damage to the machine. That’s because such liquids can be corrosive and may ruin other items on the vehicle if they escape due to a leak;
- how your motorcycle is secured on our vehicle may vary depending upon the former’s size and weight. Light mopeds and lighter machines will need to be immobilised and secured in some fashion to the framework of our vehicle. In the case of heavier machines or those that are prestige models with high values, we may strongly advise or in some cases require that your bike is professionally crated before loading;
- however it is carried, it must be extremely well protected against scratching and denting. This is, of course, a particular risk around things such as your fuel tank, mud guards and any other exposed paint work;
- some larger bikes, particularly if they are crated, are impossible to safely lift by hand. It is important to mention to us in advance that you wish your machine to be transported so that we can either arrange for an independent lifting mechanism to be provided on the day or ensure that our vehicle has an appropriate tail-lift capable of carrying the weight;
- certain motorcycles, notably those that are prestige marque machines or antiques, can carry a very substantial value. In such cases, in order to ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover in place, we will again need advance notice that you plan to transport your machine on one of our vehicles.
In general, there should not be a problem but do please ensure that you discuss your requirements with us as far in advance as possible.