We’ve said before and will say so again – if you have fragile and vulnerable items to be moved as part of your domestic or business relocation, it’s better to get professional packers to pack them for you.
We can certainly arrange professional packing services for you but if you do decide you want to do it yourself then you need to take extra special care of items made of glass and porcelain etc.
Here are a few of our top tips:
1. Wrap each fragile item individually. Preferably do this with a combination of tissue paper and bubble wrap rather than just old newspaper.
2. If your item is valuable or of great sentimental importance, make sure it is packed individually in its own very sturdy carton. It should not be able to move around inside its carton at all.
3. If it is particularly valuable, you should then wrap that carton with bubble wrap and place it inside another larger one, ensuring that the internal carton cannot move around inside its larger outer carton protection.
4. If your item is exceptionally valuable, that outer carton might need to be of strong wood to protect against any risk of accidental crushing.
5. Make sure your carton is clearly labelled as being “highly fragile” and draw it specifically to the attention of your furniture removals specialist – hopefully Total Care Removals! It’s also a good idea to clearly indicate which direction is ‘UP’ in terms of how you’ve packed your item inside.
6. Don’t forget that you may need to make special insurance arrangements for such items in transit, as your normal insurance cover may have specific limitations on the maximum amount of cover available for an individual item.
Of course, if you trust us with your packing then you won’t have to worry about any of this and you’ll be able to sleep more easily!